Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Experience with Curly Hair Girl Method

I don't know what happened to me. Puberty must have made me ugly. Or, my mom was so great at taking care of my hair. I used to have luscious long hair that was so silky and smooth ever since I was a child. But as I grew older, I'm not sure what happened, it just got drier and drier each day. My mom always commented on it being like dry grass. The straightening, dye-ing, bleaching and highlighting probably did not help hahaha. But just recently, I chopped off all the split ends and curled my hair. So, I wanted to make sure it looks good and went to do some research online. When you are searching on hair care for curly hair, you will stumble upon the curly girl method. It is raved to be so good and amazing. the pictures really do prove that as well. So, I was very excited to start trying their method.

It has now been 6 months since I more or less follow the method as best as I could. Being in Malaysia, most of the products recommended and listed are not available here and if it is, is much expensive as they are being imported in. It does help though that the website list the few ingredients to look out for and to avoid. The amount of dedication put into the compilation of the method amazed me. It is a 65 pages google doc with outlines on all the subtopic so that you can easily go to the part you want to learn about or need refreshing. They even made an infographic poster for those who are lazy to read.

First step is to reset which means to clear off all the junk and product that is currently in your hair. You don't have to do this all the time. Maybe in 1 month-ish depending on your hair condition. They have specific shampoos to use but I didn't really follow this and just skip this step and went ahead to the real step 1.

"Real" step 1 is to co-wash your hair which means to use conditioner instead of shampoo to wash. Then step 2 is to conditioned your hair and the lastly to add some gel and to either let it air dry or scrunch the crunch.

My review on this method is it is much difficult to not be able to wash your hair with shampoo as the weather here is so humid and I get sweaty often and my hair is always so oily. I did try just using conditioner to wash it, but you have to be very careful to make sure that most of the conditioner is out of your scalp or it will still look oily after you dry it or in 1 day time. Hence, I always wash with a shampoo every 3 days. In between, I will either use conditioner or just with water. Instead of gel which I did not want to spend extra money on, I used wax that I had from my time when I had a boy cut and style my hair with it. The scrunch the crunch method really work and it does help make your hair less frizzy while making the curls defined but it might take some getting use to as you will feel that your hair is a little dirty.

All in all, my hair really does seem less dry and the curls are sometimes amazing, sometimes not but I'm very comfortable with the method and would recommend you to give it a try and twerk it based on what works on you.

I'll add the link here for convenience if you want to give it a go.
https://www.reddit.com/r/curlyhair/wiki/beginner-routine

No comments:

Post a Comment